Rally Day 2018 – Backpacks Blessed, Fun & Games Had, Gourmet Hot Dogs Enjoyed!
Sunday, August 5, 2018, was “Rally Day” at Messiah Lutheran Church, marking the beginning of Sunday School for all ages for the upcoming 2018-2019 school year. At each Service of Worship, school children came forward with their backpacks, and book-bags to placing them at the altar for the Blessing of Students, Teachers, and Learners for the coming year. Custom made bag-tags with a prayer for the coming year were given to all as they returned to their seats. At 9:45 a.m., children and parents gathered in the Sanctuary to meet their teachers and fellow classmates and listen to Sunday School Superintendent Devonee Woods announce classroom and teacher assignments and explain the opportunities for music which will work into Sunday School this year. Here are the following assignments for Pre-K to Grade 12
- Preschool in the Nursery – Deidre Hopkins
- Pre-K & K in Room 6 – Julia Naefe
- 1st & 2nd in Room 9 – Kari Pitchko
- 3rd & 4th in Rooms 11 & 12 – Juanita Florio
- 5th in Room 7 – Glen Long
- 6th – 8th in Room – 4 Sara Galyon
- High School – Chris Berry
Here are few changes for the year ahead.
- 3rd thru 5th Grade students will start Sunday School in the Sanctuary at 9:45 a.m. for a brief music opening with Lois Graff. Younger students will have music time with Claire Strand in their classrooms.
- 6th thru 12th Grade students, along with any interested adults, will meet in the Parish Hall for the “Science and Faith” Sunday School Series which will go from Sunday, Aug 12 through Sunday, Sep 9th.
Parents were also reminded to complete and return their child’s Sunday School Registration Form Children and youth were encouraged to complete and turn in their Summer Sunday School Packet to their teacher so they can receive a prize of their choice. Classes next were dismissed to orient themselves to their classroom location and have pictures taken. Then it was time for snacks, fun, and games with the Sr. Youth. “Rally Day was a fun and special way to kick-off our new Sunday School year! With over 30 students attending, we welcomed in the new year talking about new opportunities with music, getting to see classrooms, meeting classmates, playing games and having a few treats. We’re looking forward to a great year with regular classes starting this Sunday.” Said Woods. She went on to offer words of thanks to:
- Our Senior Youth for helping to set-up, take-down & run the games, especially Jacob Huwaldt and Zack Armstrong. It was such a hot day, and we very much appreciate your help from beginning to end!
- Diane Davis, Janell Zesinger and Abby Woods for serving as substitutes while a few of our teachers were out of town.
- And, of course, our teachers for volunteering their time and investing in Messiah’s youth. Dee Hopkin, Julia Naefe, Kari Pitchko, Juanita Florio, Glen Long & Sara Galyon – having you all is such a blessing!
To celebrate Rally Day members and friends of all ages gathered in the Parish Hall and enjoyed a Gourmet Hot Dog ‘bar’ with specialty toppings from across the USA. The event was planned by Greg Kilby and Sonja Pederson.
- Adult Bible Study: Room 1, Currently studying the Book of Mark, Led by Dottie Hanson
- “Science and Faith” Video Series in Parish Hall, Grades 6 to Adult, with Sara Galyon
- Conversation Cafe: Parish Hall begins Sep. 16 with Jesus Among Secular Gods: The Countercultural Claims of Christ by Zacharias, Vitale Co-Leaders, Meredith Kilby, Gary Heideman, and Bruce Machamer
- Mission Crafters Class: Room 3, Learn to knit or crochet to support Messiah ‘s outreach ministries.