Make and bring a Cardboard Self-Portrait to celebrate Messiah’s 30 Year Anniversary (Online) on Sunday, May 24, 2020.
Members! On May 20, 2020, Messiah Lutheran Church will celebrate 30 years as a congregation! As a way to mark the occasion, we would like all members to make fun, colorful cardboard cutout self-portraits and drop them off at Messiah Lutheran Church by Wednesday, May 20. We sincerely hope that you and your family will have fun with this project so we can fill up our pews with smiling faces. We long to worship and celebrate together and this is one way we can do that safely!
The cardboard church members will be taped to the back of the pews for the Sunday, May 24 Service of Worship recording. Your cardboard “selfie” will appear as part of the worship service recording. Your cardboard selfie will also be there waiting for you when we can safely worship together again.
The idea was inspired by MLC’s Zomkowski family. Paul and daughter, Lyla, created several dozen cardboard “friends” in secret and pulled off a surprise birthday party for Anita and their family in the back yard of their home. Special thanks to Anita for letting MLC share the pictures of her special day with her cardboard friends!
Volunteer Cardboard Selfie Makers Sought: If you or your child think you might enjoy making these and you’d like to make portraits for other members please let the church office know asap at firstname.lastname@example.org. If we have a few volunteers to do this, we’ll be able to offer this service to members who don’t have craft materials or are confined to their homes. UPDATE: The window to have a selfie made for you has now closed! Thank you to Diane and Claire Davis for volunteering your time and talent for those members who are at risk and self-isolating.
UPDATED Instructions on how to make a Cardboard Selfie
- Find a sturdy piece of cardboard that’s approximately 12” wide by 24” tall. CAN BE TALLER THAN THIS!
- Draw a body shape with pencil the cardboard and cut out with scissors. See some of the examples, below.
- You do not need to mount your cardboard selfie on a stick.
- Draw or paint facial features. Dress your person with paint, paper, fabric, yarn, etc. Whatever you have on hand. The more colorful the better! Keep it simple and fun.
- Be sure to glue the details securely to your cardboard cutout.
- Write your first and last name on the back of your person! If you have a preference for where you’d like your cardboard selfie to sit, please note that on the back too. We’ll try and do our best.
- Bring your person to Messiah Lutheran Church and place in the “people” bin by Wednesday, May 20. Before or during business hours if possible. They’ll be collected daily.
- Feel free to take a selfie with your selfie and email the photo to email@example.com or post it to Facebook and tag Messiah Lutheran Church. #mlc_madison30years
Alternate Ideas: Print a photo of your face and attach to a cardboard person. You can also use a paper plate for your face.
For inspiration and examples, please see these pictures below! Important Note: Your Cardboard Selfie does not need to be mounted on a stick.