The Bible is God’s Great Gift for mankind to open, read and learn from, not just while we are school aged, or going through confirmation, but for our whole life. From the cradle to grave, studying God’s work in the company of others will be a source of blessing. It is His Great Heritage and shall remain so when we pass this Great Gift to children or grandchildren, family, friends and strangers. Explore the many ways Messiah Lutheran Church can help you or your family open this gift.
All are welcome, including guests and friends. Our Sunday School program always has room to grow and we encourage everyone to join at any time during the year! A wide variety of Sunday School classes for ages 2 to adult are offered each Sunday at 9:45 a.m. August through May.
Sunday School at Messiah Lutheran Church
Registering Your Child
It is not necessary to register visiting children or friends. Please let the Sunday School teacher know if a guest or friend has any physical, behavioral or health/diet limitations or restrictions.
Sunday School Calendar (2018-2019)
Sunday School will meet every Sunday from August 5th, 2018 to May 19th, 2019 except on the following dates:
- September 2 – Labor Day
- October 14 – Fall Break
- November 25 – Thanksgiving Break
- December 23 and 30 – Christmas Break
- March 17 – Spring Break
- April 21 – Easter (but there is a Senior Youth Pancake Breakfast during the Sunday School Hour so please come to that!)
Last day of Sunday School is May 19th, 2019
Fall 2018 Sunday School
Adult Sunday School Class Begins Sep 23, runs through Dec 16. All Welcome!
Conversation Cafe for Adults:
Jesus Among Secular Gods: The Countercultural Claims of Christ
by Ravi Zacharias and Vince Vitale begins Sep 16 in the Parish Hall.
This class will extend the learning which took place in “Everyday Questions” and The course will
About the class… (source Lifeway.com)
Learn how to confront the empty promises of cultural philosophies and develop confidence in sharing the claims of Christ.
- As belief in the secular gods of atheism, hedonism, relativism, and humanism continues to grow, it’s more important than ever for believers to be able to defend and share the claims of Christ. Of course, this clash of worldviews is nothing new. Throughout Paul’s writing in the New Testament are references to elemental forces that seek to separate believers from the love and truth of Jesus.
- Not only has the Christian worldview been devalued and dismissed by modern culture, but its believers are also openly ridiculed as irrelevant. This six-session Bible study challenges the popular and trending philosophies of the day, skillfully pointing out the fallacies in their claims and presenting compelling evidence for absolute truth as found in Jesus and revealed in Scripture.
- This study helps seekers explore the claims of Christ and provides Christians with the knowledge to articulate their faith that Jesus stands tall above all other gods.
Adult Sunday School / Bible Study with Dottie Hanson meets in Room 1.
Mission Crafter’s Group: Meeting in Room 3.
First Communion Instruction
First Communion classes are offered for youth 10 years of age or older, or close. Communion classes typically run consecutively for three weeks, are approximately 30 minutes in length and take place following the late service. Specific details concerning First Communion, it’s instruction and celebration are announced annually in December.
If you are interested in First Communion classes for yourself or your child, please talk to Pastor Peterson or call the Church Office at 721-0041.
At Messiah, we sponsor a two-year confirmation program for eighth and ninth grade students. Confirmation at Messiah is about faith formation, not simply faith information. We focus on being the church, not teaching about the church. Our program includes learning events, fellowship events, service events, and worship events. If you are interested in Confirmation classes for yourself or your child, please talk to Pastor Peterson or call the Church Office at 721-0041.
Director of Youth and Education Ministries
Council Representative for Education and Youth
Sunday School Superintendent firstname.lastname@example.org
Pre-K to Grade 12 Classes & Teachers
Preschool in the Nursery – Deidre Hopkin
Pre-K & K in Room 6 – Julia Naefe
1st & 2nd in Room 10 – Kari Pitchko
3rd & 4th in Rooms 11 & 12 – Juanita Florio
5th in Room 7 – Glen Long
6th – 8th in Room – 4 Sara Galyon
High School – Chris Berry
About Sara Galyon
Sara relocated to the area with her husband, a fellow Youth Director, in June of 2016. She moved here from the Memphis TN area where she completed her Masters of Arts in Youth ministry at Memphis Theological Seminary. She is originally from the east coast where she grew up in the Delaware/Maryland Synod of the
Sara has a passion for working with young people, and has been in professional youth ministry for the past 7 years and has worked with teenagers in some capacity for the past 15. She enjoys helping students realize that God is very active in the world around them, and helping them find their place in God’s action. She also enjoys working with families as they navigate aiding their teenagers’ transition into college/career years.
Outside of her role as Director of Youth and Christian Education Ministries, Sara loves to travel, read, and spend time with her husband Philip, sons Andrew and Christopher and Nathan.