People were bringing little children to Jesus in order that he might touch them; and the disciples spoke sternly to them. But when Jesus saw this, he was indignant and said to them, “Let the little children come to me; do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs. Truly I tell you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will never enter it.” And Jesus took them up in his arms, laid his hands on them, and blessed them.Mark 10:13-16
DEAR DISCIPLES OF THE LIVING MESSIAH,
IT’S ABOUT CHILDREN! Have you noticed things in our lives that are shaped by the children’s schools in our communities? Flow of traffic, vacations and holidays, opportunities for higher education, employment, taxes, real estate values, and availability of homes are just some of the things shaped by our children’s schools.
IT’S ABOUT CHILDREN! Have you noticed that much of our mission as MLC is driven by the children our Lord has created and entrusted to our care?
- Children’s Sunday School Rally Day is August 11, marking the day Children’s Church will resume.
- MLC’s Youth and Education ministries, led by Director Sara Galyon, teach and guide our children.
- The Weekend Food Program mission enables MLC to get food into the homes of children in our area who are hungry.
- Through the Lunches for Learning mission, MLC feeds children in two Honduran schools.
- Tons (literally tons) of mission Kits and Quilts made and assembled at MLC will be blessed and sent on Sunday, August 18 to bless children around the world.
- Wednesday night dinners and children’s choirs will resume in September (actually September 11th)
- What else would you add to this list?
JESUS BLESSED CHILDREN. As His disciples, how can we bless children? Feed them and clothe them. Yes, beyond feeding and clothing with food and garments, we are called to fill them with God’s life-giving Word and dress them in the “whole armor of God.” Our Lord clothes and sends His children out into this world with truth, righteousness, peace, faith, salvation, the Holy Spirit, and God’s Word (see Ephesians 6).
GOD CALLED YOU AND ME to feed, educate, discipline, cherish, love, and sacrifice for the children entrusted to us. We are called to nourish children of every age with God’s good news of creation, forgiveness, redemption, and freedom to serve our Lord and our neighbors. Child of God, you are blessed to be a blessing to others. Thank you for our partnership in the gospel. And…
Thanks be to God!
Pastor Scott Peterson
This article first appeared in Pastor Scott Peterson’s message in the August 2019 edition of the “Messiah Messenger” monthly newsletter.